The LIEP Pilot Program offers non-native English speakers the opportunity to earn academic credit and provides students with the language skills, cultural knowledge, and the study skills necessary for success in undergraduate and graduate programs.
To apply for the Pilot Program, apply to Loyola University New Orleans through the regular International Admissions process.
Non-native English speakers with a score of 500 on the paper-based TOEFL, 173 on the computer-based TOEFL, 61 on the iBT, or a 5.5. on the IELTS may be admitted to the Pilot Program, which allows you to enroll in the following coursesL
- Two Loyola Intensive English Program (LIEP) courses (3 credit hours each)
- Two courses in another academic department (3 credit hours each)
Consequently, you can earn 12 academic credits in one semester. Upon successful completion of this transitional program, you can undertake full0time study at Loyola University New Orleans.
- Rigorous, intensive preparation for academic success
- Highly qualified instructors with many years experience teaching ESL
- Institutional TOEFL given at end of each term at no extra cost
- Individual tutoring with native English speakers
- On-campus housing with English speakers
- On-campus housing with English speaking roommates
- Location in New Orleans, an exciting city with great music, wonderful food, beautiful architecture, and world-famous festivals
- Through close analysis of novels, journal articles, and academic texts, you increase your vocabulary, cultural understanding, and critical thinking skills
- You learn to write carefully constructed papers and to research and edit your work.
- You undertake a thorough review of English grammar with special attention to the English verb system and complex sentence structures.
Loyola University Courses
Advisors assist Pilot students in carefully selecting their courses from other academic departments. There are some sample coursesL
- Cultural Biology
- Introduction to Business
- Introduction to the Internet
- Introduction to Psychology
- Introduction to Religious Studies
- The World of Music
- In addition to your coursework, you have the option to be a part of the LIEP Tutoring Program. As part of this program, you will meet with a tutor twice a week to help you navigate the Loyola and U.S. educational systems.
- The tutors are advances Loyola University students, all native English speakers, who have a special interest in language teaching and other cultures.
Estimated tuition for one semester during the academic year: $19,971 (coursework only)