Back to Top

Exchange Students

Welcome to the website for international exchange students interested in studying at Loyola University New Orleans!

The New Student Brochure is a wonderful resource for international students who are new to Loyola and/or the U.S.

Congratulations on being nominated to study at Loyola!

Your advisor at your home institution must send the following information to

- Last Name(s) (exactly as on passport)
- First Name(s) (exactly as on passport)
- Date of birth
- Email address
- Gender
- Major
- Level of study (undergraduate, graduate)
- English language test score

Nominations are due March 1 for the Fall and October 1 for the Spring. Late nominations will be considered. 

Once we have received your nomination we will send you your login information so that you can complete the online application.  You must complete/submit the following documents:

- Online application
- Semester or year affidavit of support
- Online residence hall contract
- Copy of identity page in passport
- Transcript
- Immunization form
Art, Design, and Music students must submit a portfolio or audition
Graduate students must submit a resume and test scores (GMAT or GRE; and IELTS, TOEFL, or Duolingo)

Applications are due April 1 for Fall and November 1 for Spring. Late applications will be considered.* 

Once your application is complete, we will issue a DS-2019 to be used to obtain a J-1 visa. Your acceptance packet will include your DS-2019 immigration document, immunization and health forms, and other relevant information.

*Note: The Center for International Education will consider late applications, but additional shipping costs may be incurred if the application is submitted after the deadline. This is to ensure that all students receive the necessary documents in a timely manner.

For more information about the application requirements and the incoming exchange program at Loyola, please see the exchange program factsheet.

If you are coming to Loyola University from outside the U.S., you will need to have a J-1 exchange visitor visa to enter the U.S. You cannot study full-time at the university on either a B-2 tourist visa or the visa waiver program.

Visa procedures vary from one consulate or embassy to another, so it is very important that you check the website of the U.S. consulate or embassy in your country for specific instructions.

Three main phases are involved in the visa application process:
1. Gain acceptance to Loyola exchange program
2. Receive DS-2019 immigration document
3. Apply for visa

Once you have gained admission and received your immigration document (DS-2019), you can apply for a J-1 Visa. The consular officer will place a visa in your passport. You can enter the U.S. no more than 30 days before the beginning of the program. If you encounter any problems obtaining your visa, contact the Center for International Education, or (504)864-7550.

Visit our visa website to learn more about applying for a visa.

External Link

The Center for International Education (CIE) has prepared this checklist to assist you before your arrival in New Orleans.

- Valid passport: Ensure that your passport is valid at least six months into the future.

- Certificate of eligibility: Form DS-2019.

- Valid J-1 visa (not required for Canadian citizens).

- I-901 SEVIS Fee: Proof of I-901 fee payment must be presented at the visa interview or port of entry.

- Financial Support: Proof of financial support for your studies will be required upon entering the U.S.

- Immunization Records: Be sure to fill out and bring the Immunization and Medical History form that was sent to you by Loyola.

- Health Insurance Waiver: Loyola University requires that all F-1 and J-1 students have health insurance. You will be charged an insurance fee and covered under a policy obtained by Loyola on your behalf, unless you submit proof of comparable personal coverage by the deadline. The Health Insurance Waiver form can be submitted directly to LewerMark.

- Residence Hall Application: Ensure that you have appplied for housing through Residential Life.

- Airport to Campus:   The university can be easily reached by taxi or by the Airport Shuttle. Taxis cost $33 and the Airport Shuttle costs $20. Taxis from the airport do not turn on their meters because the prices are fixed. Taxis are located outside the baggage claim area and there is often a line for the taxis. Tickets for the Airport Shuttle can be purchased by the door exiting the baggage claim. The railroad and bus stations are located downtown, a short distance from the university. If you know the residence hall in which you are staying, you can tell the driver to take you directly there. If you do not know your residence hall and you arrive between the hours of 8:30 and 4:45 p.m. Monday through Friday, you can call CIE at +1-504-864-7550 or Residential Life at +1-504-865-2445 for your residence hall and room number. After hours or on the weekend, call the Loyola Department of Public Safety at +1-504-865-3434.

- International Student Orientation: International Student Orientation is mandatory for all international students. At the orientation, we will provide you with information which you, as an international student, must know. The orientation will be held in Mercy Hall Room 301. Please bring your passport, DS-2019 and I-94 to check-in. For more information and a tentative schedule, visit the Orientation website.

For more pre-departure information, visit our pre-departure website.

External Link

Once you have been accepted, we will ask for a list of the courses you wish to take. Courses can be found on the Loyola website called LORA. From this website go to the schedule of classes. Courses are available for the fall semester in late-March and for the spring in mid-October. We do not have a list of courses being offered prior to this information being published.  You can get an idea of what courses are offered in the fall and spring by going to a previous term in the schedule of classes and reviewing the courses and the syllabi.

If you want to see course descriptions, go to the Bulletin, click on the appropriate college, and then the subject and you should see links for the course descriptions.  You can also go directly to the department websites by doing a search on the Loyola website.  If you have specific questions, CIE will be happy to help, but we cannot tell you which courses will be offered in advance of when the schedule is available nor provide you with more information than what is available on the website. 

You should carefully review any prerequisites for the courses. While you do not need to have the exact course, you should have the background knowledge required for the course that you want to take.

You may be able to register for courses that are listed as closed but we will need to get the authorization of the instructor. All students wishing to take courses for Art, Film or Music must submit a portfolio.

 If you have any questions, please contact

External Link

Here's what exchange students have said about Loyola:

"It was definitely more than I expected. I met so many nice people, saw so many different places, came to understand America a little better..."

"It was awesome!"

"It was really great. I think that it was a great opportunity to discover the culture, the country and to improve my English."