Back to Top

On-Campus Employment

On-campus employment can provide international students with valuable work experience, spending money, and the opportunity to get a social security number.

F-1 Students: F-1 students are eligible to begin working on-campus as soon as classes begin provided they have completed all of the required paperwork with the Human Resources Department as well as with CIE. Once you find a job, you will need to fill out the information in this form to apply for a Social Security Number. 

J-1 Students: J-1 students must get approval from CIE before beginning work on-campus. In order to get approval, you must first find a job and then fill out the information in this form.

Finding on-campus employment is similar to finding any type of job. Often, the best strategy is to personally inquire at offices and departments around campus.  Here are a few things to keep in mind when you are looking for a job:

  • International students are not eligible for positions through the Federal Work Study Program.
  • If you are an upper level student, you may be able to put your skills to use by working as an assistant in your major department.
  • The Monroe Library, the Rec Plex, and Residential Life often have positions for student workers.

Be sure to also check the Human Resources website. HR maintains a listing of positions at under “Student Employment”.

The earlier in the semester that you start looking, the more likely it is that you will be able to find a position.

International students on F-1 or J-1 visas may work on-campus up to 20 hours per week, while school is in session.

  • This limit is per week, not per job. If you have two different jobs, the total number of hours you may work is still twenty.
  • This limit is a weekly limit, not an average weekly limit. If you work 30 hours one week and 10 hours the following week for an average of 20 hours per week, you will be in violation of your status.
  • During holidays and the summer you may work more than 20 hours per week.

You must be enrolled full-time and otherwise maintaining your F-1 or J-1 status in order to work legally. Guidelines on maintaining your status are listed here.

Upon being hired, you will first need to ask your employer fill out the information in this form to apply for a Social Security Number. Email the completed form to CIE and our office will write you a letter confirming your employment. Make an appointment with the Social Security Administration and take the letter from CIE to apply for a Social Security Number. You cannot be paid for your work until you have a Social Security Number and paperwork filed with HR. 

Once that is complete, go to Human Resources (HR) in Thomas Hall. HR will ask that you complete various documents, including the “Employment Eligibility Verification Form”, which is commonly called the I-9.

Get your I-9 completed at CIE, located in Founders Hall 223. When you come to CIE, be sure to bring your passport, I-20 or DS-2019, and I-94 with you. You will need to fill out the top portion of the I-9 and leave it, along with your documents, for CIE to complete.

  • When completing the top portion, note that you are an alien authorized to work until the end date listed on your I-20 or DS-2019.
  • Your admission number is the number on your I-94.
  • Normally CIE will give you back your completed I-9, along with photocopies of your I-20, I-94, and passport, within two days. Take all of these documents to HR.

If you do not have a Social Security Number (SSN), you must apply for one as soon as possible after accepting employment. You can start working as soon as you complete your paperwork at HR, even if you do not have a social security number. However, you will not be able to be paid until you are issued a social security card, so it’s best to apply for one as soon as possible.

Once you receive your SSN, you will need to bring the SSN card to Human Resources as soon as possible. To read more about applying for a social security number, visit the Social Security section of our website.

Students should keep in mind that employment has tax implications.  To read more about filing your taxes, visit the Taxes section of our website.