Back to Top

Hiring International Students

Most international students at Loyola University New Orleans are eligible to work on-campus as soon as they begin their studies.  Any student that is hired must complete an application at Human Resources.

Hiring International Students Who Do Not Have SSNs

Students are allowed to work before they receive their social security card but cannot be paid until they receive a social security number. The Social Security Administration (SSA) regulations require that all F-1 student and J-1 exchange visitor applicants for a social security card show proof of employment or an explicit job offer in order to be eligible for a social security number. The student must submit a letter from the on-campus department that hired them, their original immigration documents and a letter from the Center for International Education (CIE) to the SSA office as part of their application. As a hiring department, your letter (on department letterhead) must contain the following information:

  • Clearly identify the student
  • Name of Hiring Department
  • Anticipated or actual employment start date
  • Job description of student’s position (F-1 or J-1 international students can only be employed in student assistant positions. They cannot work as work-study students.)
  • # of hours the student is expected to work (please remember that F-1 students are only allowed to work a maximum of 20 hours per week when school is in session.)
  • Name and contact information of the student’s immediate supervisor
  • Signed and dated by immediate supervisor

Please submit all Personnel Notification Forms (PNFs) to Human Resources as is standard procedure for all new hires, noting that the student has applied for the social security number. CIE will complete the I-9 for the student certifying that they have authorization to work. When the student receives the number, the student will have to show the card to the Human Resources office so that they can be paid.

More information on social security requirements for international students can be found at If you have any questions, please contact the Center for International Education at 504-864-7550 or