Back to Top

Non-Tenure Track International Faculty

The Center for International Education (CIE) will assist with processing non-immigrant applications for faculty. Each situation is different depending on the position and the immigration history of the individual being hired.

We Will Help You Through the Process
The information below will provide you with a preliminary overview of the requirements. While it can appear that there is a great deal of paperwork, CIE will help departments and faculty sort through the bureaucratic maze.

Cost for the Department
The cost to a department can vary from $0 for a recent graduate who has optional practical training or a J-1 exchange visitor visa to approximately $6,000 for a 3 year H-1B with premium processing. The labor certification part of a permanent residence application will cost the department or college $3000 or more. The Department of Labor stipulates that all costs for the labor certification must be paid by the employer.

Before Offering Employment
CIE recommends that departments contact us for advice prior to offering employment to an individual. While we will gladly talk to the candidate, please notify us before having the candidate call us.

F-1 (OPT)

Candidates currently in the U.S. studying in F-1 status may be eligible for one-year of Optional Practical Training (OPT) following completion of their degree. OPT allows the faculty member to begin working in their field without any application from Loyola. CIE can then apply for the H-1 during the first year of employment. For candidates outside the U.S. or ineligible for OPT, the H-1B application is the most appropriate.

J-1 Exchange Visitor

J-1 exchange can be used for temporary non-tenure track teaching and research positions for up to 5 years. It can also be used for short-term visitors coming to give lectures or do research. Learn more.

H-1B Work Visa

An H-1B is a temporary work visa that can be obtained initially for up to 3 years with an additional 3-year extension possible. Learn more

TN (NAFTA): Canadian & Mexican Citizens

The TN category was developed as part of the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) to facilitate the entry of Canadian and Mexican Citizens to the United States to engage in professional activities on a temporary basis. Learn more.

E-3: Australians

The E-3 Status is for treaty aliens in a specialty occupation. At this time, only citizens of Australia are eligible for E-3 status and there are only 10,500 E-3 visas available annually. Learn more.